Welcome to our October newsletter. It's time to get spooky, and with our terrifyingly good Halloween treats, you can make this Halloween both exciting and good for your children's oral health. You can also find out about Mouth Cancer Action Month, our Zoom Whitening offer, and more.
Mouth Cancer Awareness
November is Mouth Cancer Action Month, which aims to promote awareness of the disease in an attempt to get more mouth cancers diagnosed at an early stage. According to the State of Mouth Cancer UK Report 2018/2019 - which looks at the very latest statistics for the disease - new cases of mouth cancer each year in the UK has increased by 49% in the last decade.
Around 90% of mouth cancers can be linked to preventable lifestyle factors. This means that you can reduce your risk of developing mouth cancer by making changes to your lifestyle. Here are 3 ways you can change your lifestyle to reduce your risk of developing mouth cancer:
- Stop Smoking: More than 60% of mouth cancers are linked to smoking. Talk to your dentist or doctor for help with quitting.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Maintaining a good oral health routine, including: brushing, flossing, and mouthwash; can help improve your oral health, and reduce your risk of mouth cancer.
- Don't Excessively Drink Alcohol: Drinking alcohol to excess increases your risk of mouth cancer. UK guidelines recommend a maximum of 14 units of alcohol a week for both men and women.
Zoom Tooth Whitening Offer
Zoom Tooth Whitening is a great form of tooth whitening which allows you to whiten your teeth from the comfort of your own home. During November, you can receive a Zoom Tooth Whitening home kit for just £199.
Achieve a whiter smile for Christmas. Contact your local MSC to book your appointment for Zoom Tooth Whitening.
Sugar-Free Alternatives This Halloween
Halloween is on the 31st of October. Have you prepared your treats? Conventional treats such as chocolate and sugary treats may be tasty, but they can also be harmful to your children's teeth. Below, we've suggested 5 tips to help keep your treats healthy this Halloween.
- Give sugar-free sweets to trick-or-treaters.
- Offering a healthy alternative, such as fruit, can go a long way.
- A great alternative to regular treats is sugar-free chewing gum; it’s both tasty and good for oral health.
- Take care when considering other treats, such as dried fruits, which may seem healthier but can contain high amounts of sugar.
- Offer alternatives for children with braces, crisps may be a safer option than sweets or chocolates.
Special Halloween Treat: Pumpkin Soup
Looking for something to do with all that pumpkin left after carving? Try this delightful pumpkin soup for a tasty seasonal meal which all of the family can enjoy.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and over a low/medium heat, fry the onions ‘til they’re golden.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and spices and cook, stirring occasionally, for five minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a food processor (watch out for hot splashes!).
- Season to taste, then serve with a sprinkling of herbs and/or a swirl of cream.
- Approx. 900g of peeled, de-seeded pumpkin flesh
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 stick of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 litre stock (chicken or vegetable – from a cube is fine)
- 25g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
Kings Heath News
Our Kings Heath team has been joined by a new hygienist, Dr Rhiarna Henry. Dr Henry is already beloved by both staff and patients.
You can book an appointment at Kings Heath MSC today.
West Heath News
This month, Dr Ali Khan and Dr Faezeh Ghaffari at West Heath MSC, pictured above, have been joined by a new dentist; Jason Morgan. Jason has been in dentistry for many years, and has already made a wonderful first impression on our patients.
You can book an appointment at West Heath MSC today.
Sheldon MSC are running two special competitions this month. The first is a Halloween costume competition: over October half term, goody bags will be available for the first 20 children in Halloween costumes. We're also helping to raise money for Bridge2Aid by hosting a competition to guess how many jelly beans are in the tub; with the closest getting to take it home.
Sheldon also welcomes Jason Morgan, replacing Dr Chambers, pictured below, who retired at the end of September.
Don't miss out, book an appointment at Sheldon MSC to join in.
Handsworth Wood News
We're welcoming two new additions to the Handsworth Wood dental team this month: Zak; our new nurse, and Jo; the receptionist. We wish the best to both of them as they begin their journey with us.
Handsworth Wood MSC will also be running a 1/3 off private orthodontic consultations. Would you like straighter teeth? Book your consultation today for only £20.
Selly Oak News
This month, Selly Oak welcomes some new starters. Dr Ruksana Bhayat has joined our clinical team, and has already made a very positive first impression on our patients. We also have two new receptionists joining our growing team, Nicola and Leah, who are working hard to greet our patients.
Selly Oak are also helping to raise money for Bridge2Aid by hosting a Guess the Name of Our Bear competition. For just £1, patients can guess the name of the bear, and all the proceedings go to helping improve dental conditions in poor communities. The winner will receive a £10 tooth whitening voucher, a branded mug, and gets to keep the bear.
Book an appointment at Selly Oak MSC to join in.
Holiday Open Hours
On Public Holidays the practice listed below can be contacted for emergency dental care.
Both new and existing patients are able to make use of this extended service.
|Date||Holiday||Practice||Opening times||Contact Number|